Sunday, February 1, 2009

I Don't Like Snakes!

When I was about 6 years old and my family lived on the farm from 1927 to 1931 west of Wakeeney, Kansas, I was old enough to bring in the cattle from the pasture for evening milking. I was SCARED STIFF of snakes. Even plain old Bull Snakes. A snake was a snake to me!

Often my friends and I went barefoot most of the summer. When I saw a snake while I was bringing in the cattle, GOODBYE CATTLE! I ran for the house, half way whimpering or crying. I imagined the snakes could fly and could catch me. I never looked back!

When I was quite young we visited a boy in the Hays (KS) hospital who had been bitten by a rattlesnake. He was puffed up, swollen and black and blue in his swollen face. I shall never forget that. To this day, I DON'T LIKE SNAKES.

While I was in the Army during World War II, we had to sleep out on the ground during maneuvers bivouac. In Tennessee, they had Coral Snakes, small and colorful, orange and black. They told us they were poisonous. Grrrrr. I did not like that!

On the farm we had a lot of those little green Garter Snakes. I finally got used to them as our dogs would bite them in their middle and violently shake their head to tear them apart.

We also had Blue Racers a small greenish snake in the chicken house. Gathering eggs, we kids were told to watch for snakes in the nest. Yow!

4 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Your part of Kansas sounds like my part of Texas. Rattlers were always something to be dealt with. I used to have a "rattle" in a bottle on my shelf; it was given to me by a friend who had shot the snake in a field.

LOOKING4ANCESTORS said...

Greetings Ernie,
I don't like snakes, either! They give me the heebie-jeebies.

Kathryn

Bill West said...

Hi Ernie,
I'm not crazy about them either but I spent three summers as a camp counselor back in the late 1960's
on Cape Cod. Down there you had to worry about the snakes that could swim in the freshwater ponds.Between
those, the eels, and the snapping turtles, I wasn't crazy about
swimming in the camp pond!

GrannyPam said...

When my husband was in the Army I lived with his parents and their home; our family included one daughter and our Boston Terrier. One of my memories was of that dog dragging a garter snake up to present to my m-in-l, and her running as fast as she could to get into the house. That darn dog was so happy with his "gift" that he tried to follow her into the house with it.

I don't like 'em, but I don't run. A hoe will do wonders!