Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Two-Week Timeout in the Hospital

Well folks, the day and the hour are approaching. Tomorrow morning I will be admitted to Parkview Hospital in Pueblo, CO for at least two weeks and maybe 3 weeks.

It all sounds so crazy. I feel fine, I get around reasonable easy anymore after getting used to be immobile for 7 months. I still have the cast on my left leg, fortunately cast #4 only extends up to the knee, (18 inches) whereas the first ones were hip to toes (34 inches). It is a little hard to navigate going to the bathroom with such a cast and besides, it was like cement and HEAVY.
But this procedure (Feb 23rd) is preventive to save my right leg. He showed where they might have to amputate from ABOVE the knee. The by-pass by no means has any guarantees. But is the next best option.

After exhaustive Echo Gram and heart stress tests, Dr Bowman is taking the chance that my body will endure the by-pass surgery. My other medical appointments had to be postponed to schedule this right away. In an effort to restore circulation to my right leg primarily the right foot that now has two diabetic ulcers. The ulcers look better for a day or so then start draining again. Oozing dead flesh from lack of blood circulation and the smell is awful. If not treated it may turn to gangrene. Who would have ever thought that blood carries so many properties. Centura Home Health Care had their nurse come in this morning to apply new dressing to both ulcers and check my vitals, as they call it. They have been monitoring it every other day. This past week, both of my legs are swollen. The one with the cast feels real tight inside that cast. Dr Bowman said we FIRST must get that swelling down before we perform the by pass. The balloons they had implanted behind my right know quit functioning. Dr Bowman said we are back to square one. The report on the heart was it was weak but otherwise appeared healthy. These last couple of days I get spells of spasms that strike from my hip to my toes. I take pain pills when they strike.

Becky will try to keep you posted of the progress on her blog. If I get any email she will print them out and bring them to me. Her email is becky.jamison5@gmail.com. The first week is all about getting the swelling down, which probably is done with elevating the leg 24/7. I keep it elevated two to three hours every day now But those spasm comes on like a tornado, they strike every muscle and nerve as they move on through. they don't last long (just a few seconds) but they take your breath away when they strike and fade away again.

You can tell Ernie has lived 87 years with NO HOSPITALIZATIONS OF ANY KIND. This is a totally new experience. Well, I tell myself, THIS TOO SHALL PASS. lol Recalling what my Army buddy Charlie Ritzicke used to say, QUOTE: "I am glad I have lived the best YEARS of my life, these last few DAYS will not matter much."

I am getting my money's worth of use out of the ADA, handicapped provisions and facilities they remodeled in my house. It is a good thing I live alone, when these attacks hit, I might let out a couple of audible yells of screams. It relieves the tension. Talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Bye
Ernie

11 comments:

Bill West said...

Ernie,
You rest up and get better soon.I
want to read more of your memories!

Bill West

GrannyPam said...

We're pulling for you, Ernie, I'll be watching Becky's updates and praying for you and your family.

Greta Koehl said...

We'll miss you while you're out, Ernie, and will be praying for your full and speedy recovery.

Genealogy Blogger said...

Hurry back Ernie! I'm sending positive thoughts your way

Lorine

Les said...

Ernie,
You'll be down at the nurses station telling your stories before you know it! Hurry back.
Les

Terri said...

Ernie - My thoughts and prayers are with you -I think you have a great attitude - just stay as positive as you can it will give you the strength you need to endure. And, Ernie, don't be to hard on all those nurses!

Janice Tracy said...

Ernie, I'm going to miss your posts while you are away. But I know you will have some new stories to share with us when you return. I will be praying for you and your family, and for your successful recovery.

LOOKING4ANCESTORS said...

Greetings Ernie,
I am praying for you to have a successful operation and a speedy recovery. I am looking forward to reading about your adventures in the hospital, and of course, more of your wonderful memories on your blog. God Bless.
Kathryn

Cindy said...

All the best to you Ernie - keep that positive outlook going, we're all pulling for you! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family my dear man.

Miriam said...

We'll miss you, Ernie! You have my thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to many more wonderful stories!

Janet Iles said...

Ernie, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You have many who enjoy your stories. I wish for you a speedy recovery.