Monday, June 15, 2009

Home Sweet Home!

I left home Feb. 16 to go to the hospital in Pueblo, CO for arterial bypass surgery on my right leg. I thought I'd heal and return home by the end of February. But my return home didn't happen until TODAY! I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, but then recuperated in a nursing home in Pueblo, Co until April 1st, then I moved to Canon Lodge so I'd be back in my hometown of Canon City, CO, nearer to my daughter.

I've been in a wheelchair since I broke my left leg in two places last July 29, 2008. Today I WALKED out of the nursing home and I WALKED into my house! I've had such good care at Canon Lodge and I've worked very hard daily to rebuild my strength, my balance, my stamina and endurance. I have diabetes, and I've been taking better care of myself since I learned the technique of "carb counting" from the Diabetic Care Center while I was hospitalized in Pueblo in March.

Here's a picture my daughter Becky took as I was walking into my house at noon today. She was sure proud of me.

As soon as I got inside and was able to sit down I called my brother in Derby, Kansas. I haven't been able to (nor have I wanted to) use a phone since the end of March, so we had a lot of catching up to do.

My daughter Becky took some pictures as I was going to lunch today, before we left the nursing home. This is a picture of me with my two dining buddies, Ken Wilson and Gene Crawford. Becky's going to take me back over there next Friday so we can visit and eat together again. They don't get any other visitors.

I was happy to get a visit before I left from Allen Stecklein, at left, who performs around the area as "The Whistling Cowboy". He offers a very spiritual musical program and is such a great entertainer.
I had such good visits with my friend Ruby, in the picture here with me. She's the Activity Director at Canon Lodge, and also serves as the driver when needed. She took me to a doctor's appointment and a concert, but mostly what I enjoyed was her personal visits and encouragement. She's a treasure and I'm going to miss her, as well as many other wonderful friends I made while I lived there.

A nurse is coming to my house twice a day to change the dressing on the wound on my right ankle. And my daughter's going to visit me daily, so I'm happy at my house and I'm sure I'll get along okay in the days ahead. I'll post another update by the end of the week to let you all, my dear friends, know how I'm doing.

I want to close by saying thank you very much to you, my dear friends, for your prayers, good wishes, thoughts, cards and letters. It's a miracle that I've been able to come back home. Last Feb. the doctor told me he didn't think I'd survive a surgery because of my weak heart and coronary artery disease. Then he thought if I survived, he'd have to amputate my toes or my lower leg. I haven't had anything amputated and I'm out of that wheelchair and I'm walking! I know it was PRAYER that made the difference. Prayer and the love and support of my family and friends. Thank you all!


Cheryle Hoover Davis said...

Ernie, I have to are one good trooper! And you have a treasure of a daughter!

I am so happy to hear of your progress, and know that being at home, you will be feeling MUCH better, even though you miss the beautiful people who have helped you through this!

Prayers and blessings...

Delia Furrer said...

You look wonderful! I am sure you will miss some of the friends that you have made. You have a treasure in your daughter and she has done such a nice job of keeping us posted. I am sure the many prayers and blessings had a part in this, but you seem to be a very determined man! Best wishes in your coming days and hope that all your days are good ones. Looking forward to your continued blogs!

GrannyPam said...

Hurray! Welcome home. You have persevered through a lot, and I am so happy to see you rewarded, being able to return home!

Harriet said...

I'm so happy you are able to return home. This is a GREAT day!
Everything just seems so much better when you are home.
Take care of yourself.

Miriam said...

Ernie, I'm so glad for you that you are finally at home. It's been a long process, but you endured! All of us in the geneablogosphere look forward to more posts from you...we've missed them--and you!

Kate Keller said...

Hooray!!! Glad you finally got to go home! Take care.

Brenda said...

YEHAAA Ernie, Welcome home and I know you are glad to be there. Let's have some music!!! Enjoy the day, Brenda

Debbie said...

It's great to see you up and walking! You are amazing. Take care and keep blogging.

Debbie McCoy