Monday, December 26, 2011

I Don't Like Cold Weather

One way to keep our memories alive, according to Humorist Will Rogers, is to talk about the weather. I find it hard to understand how we can have CLEAR SKY, bright SUNSHINE  B-U-T  it is cold! I mean BELOW FREEZING. It did not quite make the forecast of 3 below last night but +2 is still cold for me. I NEVER did like cold weather. When I was age 11, we were poor. School was a mile across a pasture. My younger brother, age 9, was in the hospital dying. Mom sat with him. Dad had to feed the cattle for the folks he worked for. In our family were twins Leonard and LaVerna, age 3. We lived in the hired hand 4 room house. It was COLD and had snowed that night, and I set out to walk to school. I got about half way and my ears, feet and hands were getting numb. I was crying and found myself a snow drift that had one of those curved tops, probably six feet high. I snuggled up out of the wind for a few minutes, then I finished walking to school. I got there late, stumbled into the one room country schoolroom - half out of it. The whole class  was disrupted from my entrance. The male teacher tended to me and revived me. I remember that day crystal clear.
After school a family came to pick up their kids and they took me home. That was the coldest I had or ever have been. This was in about 1932 or 1933. 

My brother did die from pneumonia. It was an era when the Depression had just started. We had been share croppers in Trego County, Kansas (rural WaKeeney). We had hail, 11 inch rains, etc. 

Dad had to take Bankruptcy. We moved to Mom's brother Fred Koleber's, who lived near Eaton, Colorado. After my brother Alfred died in 1933, we moved back to Barton County, Kansas. Fred Michaelis financed us to get re-established. His wife, Eva (Margheim) was my dad's oldest sister.

Shortly after that, 1935 the Dust storms rolled in. But we survived.

5 comments:

Bennie Sawrey said...

This is so inspiring. In spite of what happened to you and your family, you were able to stand up. What happened to you is hard to forget, but as they say, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

What an incredible story. growing up in California, I can't even imagine that level of cold! Thank you so much for sharing this portion of your life. It is fascinating history.

Jim (Hidden Genealogy Nuggets Blog) said...

I just found you blog through Geneabloggers. What a great story.


Regards, Jim
Hidden Genealogy Nuggets

Jaden Allred said...

63“One way to keep our memories alive, according to Humorist Will Rogers, is to talk about the weather.” – That surely is an unconventional way to walk down the memory lane. But I guess it works in your case. Reading your post, I’m inspired on how you and your family got back on track after what happened. It was a hard life, but you were able to stand again amidst bankruptcy and death. From “below freezing,” you are now living a life “in the clear blue sky.” :-)

Cade Culpepper said...

Well, at the end of the day, what matters most is how you faced the storm and how you were able to survive it. ;) Bankruptcy could be one of your biggest nightmares but you have to remember that there will always be a way to recover from that situation. You just have to do your best to start anew and regain all your financial assets.